Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Blog 2 Flora & Fauna Motifs in Mestizo Arts


photo of cherimoya tree

The incorporation of indigenous flora and fauna in the mestizo decorative arts seem to represent the cultural blending that was taking place between indigenous and european art traditions. In reading "Eye of the Other; The Indigenous Response," I learned that the first time the term mestizo was used was in 1925 to describe the architectural style seen in 17th and 18th century Peru.

In the ornate carvings on the pillars and doorways of buildings there is a serpentine layering of the local flora and fauna to give the feeling of walking through a dense overgrown jungle. I was intrigued to read that specific plants such as the cacao plant and cherimoya tree could be identified. Both are fruits that I have tasted and enjoyed eating during my travels in Central and South America. The next time I eat these fruits I am going to remember how these were also the foods of the pre-colonial people such as the Incas.

3 comments:

  1. Hi I loved your pictures from this blog and your previous one! I am jealous of your traveling! I took the ART12A online class before this one and have wanted to visit since then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. juliana! it is wonderful to have you back in class...how is motherhood?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for asking cynthia! motherhood is amazing and worth all the day-to-day difficulties. my daughter just had her one year b-day, and i can't believe it's going so fast, just trying to enjoy every moment of the baby-ness while i can!

    ReplyDelete